Subject: Re: Author Information

From: "John E. Stith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jun 95 11:44:10 EDT

Dear Mats,

Thanks very much for your email about adding me to the Linkoping WWW page.
(My apologies for the lack of international characters and accent marks in
this message.  I know CIS lets us use them now, but I haven't yet figured
it out.)

Following is my biography/bibliography.  It's probably more than you need,
so please feel free to omit any information you don't need,  Thanks again,
and thanks for providing such a good resource on-line.

John

                          John E. Stith

                              Novels
     SCAPESCOPE (Ace, 1984) set in the NORAD underground complex.
A man content with the status quo sees a glimpse of the future,
saying he'll be on the political criminal list.
     MEMORY BLANK (Ace, 1986). An amnesia victim on a space
station finds tantalizing stranger for a wife, a wise-cracking
wrist-computer as an ally. As he tries to restore his memories,
he learns things are far worse than he thinks.
     DEATH TOLLS (Ace, 1987). An ex-reporter on Mars tries to
find out if his brother was murdered, and wonders why TV reporter
Janet Vincent reaches disasters so fast.
     DEEP QUARRY (Ace, 1989). A private eye on a desert planet
discovers buried alien starship inhabited by aliens who don't
like being found. Won Top Hand Award.
     REDSHIFT RENDEZVOUS (Ace, 1990). One man must stop hijackers
from using a strange starship to plunder wealthy colony. Aboard
the Redshift, light moves so slowly you can see its passage. SF
Book Club selection, HOMer Award winner, Nebula Award nominee.
Optioned for film.
     MANHATTAN TRANSFER (Tor, 1993-4). Aliens kidnap Manhattan.
SF Book Club selection. One of eight 1993 books on the
preliminary Nebula Award ballot. Rockies Award winner. Hugo Award
honorable mention. Seiun Award nominee (Japan). Purchased for
film. Chapter one is soon to be excerpted on the Tor Books WWW
home page <<http://www.tor.com>>.
     REUNION ON NEVEREND (Tor, 1994-5). At a high-school reunion
in space, an undercover agent must blow his cover to save an old
flame, and he involves her in an interplanetary chase. HOMer
Award nominee. On the Science Fiction Chronicle best of year
list.
     MACRO VESSEL (working title) (Tor, due 1996). Explorers sent
deep into the interior of a moon-sized alien creature encounter
treachery.

                     Motion Picture Activity
     USER HOSTILE is high-tech Hitchcock, with John Kennedy. Man
and woman on the run must turn for help to computer network
friends. Terence Michael Productions has Denny Conrad Harris
attached to direct. Film has a distribution guarantee. ICM is
currently attaching talent; financing sources are evaluating.
     MANHATTAN TRANSFER. Empyrean plans to hire screenwriters Ron
Shusett (Total Recall), Martin Olson, and George Lee Marshall,
and plans an adaptation of novel with a budget the same size as
for JURASSIC PARK.
     NAUGHT FOR HIRE is a quirky action comedy that lampoons
malfunctioning technology. In the near future, a private eye and
an old flame wind up on a hit list. Adapted from Stith's story in
ANALOG. Currently undergoing rewrite for ITB Cinegroup.
     REDSHIFT RENDEZVOUS. Empyrean has optioned film rights to
this novel. Packaged with the film rights are film rights to
Stith's short story "Doing Time."

                            Television
     Stith has sold to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and to the Movie of
the Week market.

                   Short Fiction (Partial List)
     "Early Winter" FANTASTIC, July 1979.
     "Planet Seven" AMAZING, May 1980.
     "Simon Sidekick" DRAGON, July 1984
     "Last Words" SPACE AND TIME, Summer 1986.
     "Doing Time" ABORIGINAL SF, July/August 1987.
     "Little Black Book" ABORIGINAL SF, Jan/Feb 1988.
     "Redshift Runaway" SPACE AND TIME, Winter 1988.
     "Naught for Hire" ANALOG, July 1990.
     "Naught Again" ANALOG, November 1992.
     "One Giant Step" DINOSAUR FANTASTIC, DAW, July 1993. SFBC
edition December 1993.

                      National (USA) TV Appearance
     SCIENCE FICTION * SCIENCE FACT: [SF]^2, PBS 1987, a one-hour, live
special with Ben Bova, Arthur C. Clarke, Charles
Sheffield, and G. Harry Stine.

                       Contact Information
     Stith's email address is [email-masked]. He will
attempt to answer all email if time permits. He has some copies
of his out of print titles for sale to those readers unable to
find them locally.

                            Biography
     John E. Stith lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. He
was born in Boulder, Colorado, and spent most of his pre-college
years in Alamogordo, New Mexico.
     He received a B.A. in physics at the University of
Minnesota. After service as an Air Force officer, which allowed
him to work in the NORAD Cheyenne Mountain Complex near Colorado
Springs, and took him to Alaska for a year, he entered private
industry at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.
     In the seventies he returned to Colorado Springs, and his
work has included several software engineering and management
positions. In 1977 he began writing nonfiction, and in 1978 he
began writing fiction regularly. In 1981 he married for the
second time, to Annette.
     Until January 1991 he worked for Kaman Sciences Corp., where
he was an engineering manager. Since then he has been a full-time
writer. He was interviewed in the July 1993 SCIENCE FICTION
CHRONICLE. "Stith" rhymes with "Smith."

                               END