Subject: Author Lists: Terry Pratchett

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Dec 89 11:33:38 GMT

Terry Pratchett is another guy with a strange sense of humor, but he writes
on a more adult level.  I really like his "Discworld" series, which is a
really, really funny lampoon of every fantasy idea you've ever read.  The
main disadvantage is that since he is British, his books are published on
the American side of the pond one year later.

/John

arpa: [email-masked]

studiesshow80percentofallamericansknowabouthomecomputers
thatshigherthanthepercentageofamericanswhoknowaboutsex-ly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Pratchett, Terry
    Discworld:
        The Colour of Magic [1983]
        The Light Fantastic [1985]
        Equal Rights [1987]
        Mort [1987]
        Sorcery [1988]
        Wryd Sisters [1988]
        Pyramid [1989]
        Guards, Guards! [1989]
    In Series:
        Strata [1981]
        The Dark Side of the Sun [1976]
    Truckers [1989]

---

From: [email-masked] (leland.f.derbenwick)
Date: 6 Dec 89 17:44:29 GMT

A couple title corrections, at least as they were published in the U.S.

In article <891206-033407-14374@Xerox>, [email-masked] writes:
> on a more adult level. 
[ ...stuff deleted, including several titles]

>         Equal Rights [1987]
                ^^^^^^
          Equal Rites

>         Sorcery [1988]
          ^^^^^^^
          Sourcery  [ _just_ came out: December, 1989 ]

>         Guards, Guards! [1989]

These three aren't out yet here, as far as I know.   :-(

 -- Speaking for myself,
 --   Lee Derbenwick, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Warren, NJ
 --   [email-masked]  or  <wherever>!att!cbnewsm!lfd

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Lee)
Date: 12 Dec 89 18:03:57 GMT

Terry Pratchett spoke at Noreascon III in Boston on Labor Day weekend this year
(If you get a chance to see him speak, go -- he's very entertaining!).  He
mentioned that he plans to re-issue his first novel ("The Carpet People",
previously mentioned by other folks in this thread), although he plans to do
some extensive re-writing first, since he feels he is a much better writer
these days.  He also said that he had begun work (or at least thinking) on the
next Discworld novel (after "Guards! Guards!"), which will be called
"Hooray For Holy Wood" (spelling approximate), and which pokes fun at (you
guessed it) film and film stars.  From his description, it looks to be great!

He said that he was releasing discworld books roughly every six months in
England, but has no idea how long they would take to make it out in the US.
If you'd like to see the rest of the lot released over here sooner, write to
the publisher!

Pratchett trivia (gleaned from the talk):
     His favourite novel so far is probably "Wyrd Sisters", with "Mort" running
a close second.
     He finds that some of his characters (particularly Granny Weatherwax and
Death) have taken up permanent residence in parts of his mind, and he finds
himself thinking like one of them every now and then.
     There is no map of the Discworld per se -- he makes up new pieces whenever
it suits him, but he now keeps all of his books in a word processor so that he
can try to be consistent about locations he has already written about.  He does
this mostly for fear that some fan will come up to him and say "No!  You said
here that she turns LEFT to go to the tavern, but it's to the RIGHT!"

							-Peter E. Lee

-----                                                                     -----
[email-masked]                                                   Peter E. Lee
[email-masked]                                            Staff Assistant
(413) 549-6366                                    University Of Mass at Amherst