Subject: upload again

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 95 19:45:00 UTC

I was browsing on your homepage and noticed that in my previous transmission
 of my bibliography, some of the data got lost.  So I'm trying again!
 
Here goes:
 
         Author bio / Bibliography / Info about TV Show

                        Jeffrey A. Carver
                        Biographical Data
 
     Jeffrey A. Carver is the author of numerous science fiction
 novels, including NEPTUNE CROSSING (1994) and STRANGE ATTRACTORS
 (1995), the first two volumes of THE CHAOS CHRONICLES, a hard
 science fiction series inspired by the emerging science of chaos
 theory.  Publishers Weekly said of NEPTUNE CROSSING: "Carver
 masterfully captures the joy of exploration...[and displays] his
 gift for the fine rendering of difficult scientific concepts,"
 while Science Fiction Chronicle named it one of the best science
 fiction novels of 1994.  Kirkus Reviews calls STRANGE ATTRACTORS:
 "dazzling, thrilling, innovative...probably Carver's best effort
 to date."
 
     Prior to this, Carver wrote the paired novels DRAGON RIGGER
 (1993) and DRAGONS IN THE STARS (1992), blending elements of
 science fiction and fantasy--as well as the hard SF novel FROM A
 CHANGELING STAR (1989) and its sequel, DOWN THE STREAM OF STARS
 (1990), combining nanotechnology, supernovas and cosmic strings,
 and a great deal in between.
 
     His favorite themes include star travel, alien contact,
 artificial intelligence, and transcendent realities--and the
 moral, ethical, and spiritual implications of these
 possibilities--with a strong emphasis on humanistic concerns.
 
     Other important novels include THE RAPTURE EFFECT (1987) and
 the epic novel THE INFINITY LINK (1984), which was praised by SF
 and Fantasy Review as "a rich novel of immense scope, with the
 most detailed and brilliant descriptive passages of empathic and
 telepathic communication," and by Analog as "a satisfying and
 rewarding visionary experience."  His early novels, SEAS OF
 ERNATHE, STAR RIGGER'S WAY, and PANGLOR established the star
 rigger universe to which he later returned in DRAGONS IN THE
 STARS and DRAGON RIGGER, with further explorations planned.
 
     Originally a native of Huron, Ohio, Carver has lived in New
 England since graduating from Brown University in 1971 with a
 degree in English.  In 1974 he earned a Master of Marine Affairs
 degree from the University of Rhode Island.  He has been a high
 school and collegiate wrestler, a scuba diving instructor, a
 quahog diver, a UPS sorter, a word-processing consultant, a
 private pilot, and a stay-at-home dad.  He lives with his family
 in the Boston area, where he is a full-time writer and a member
 of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, and The
 Authors Guild.  His interests include science, religion,
 nature, underwater exploration, and flying.

                           BIBLIOGRAPHY
 
                 Published Works by Jeffrey A. Carver
 
                    (in order of publication)
 
Novels:
 
SEAS OF ERNATHE, 1976, Laser Books
 STAR RIGGER'S WAY, 1978, Dell Books, SF Book Club; revised
     edition, 1994, Tor Books
 PANGLOR, 1980, Dell Books; new edition forthcoming, Tor Books
 THE INFINITY LINK, 1984, Bluejay Books (hc), Tor (pb), SF Book
     Club
 THE RAPTURE EFFECT, 1987, Tor Books (hc&pb), SF Book Club
 ROGER ZELAZNY'S ALIEN SPEEDWAY: CLYPSIS (collaborative novel),
     1987, Bantam Spectra
 FROM A CHANGELING STAR, 1989, Bantam Spectra, SF Book Club
 DOWN THE STREAM OF STARS, 1990, Bantam Spectra
 DRAGONS IN THE STARS, 1992, Tor Books, SF Book Club
 DRAGON RIGGER, 1993, Tor Books (hc), 1994 (pb)
 NEPTUNE CROSSING, The Chaos Chronicles: Book One, 1994, Tor Books
     (hc); pb forthcoming 1995
 STRANGE ATTRACTORS, The Chaos Chronicles: Book Two, Tor 1995
 
--forthcoming--
 
THE INFINITE SEA, The Chaos Chronicles: Book Three, Tor 1996.

Short fiction:
 
"...Of No Return" -- Fiction, 1974
 "Alien Persuasion" -- Galaxy, 1975 [formed the basis for the
     novel, STAR RIGGER'S WAY]
 "Seastate Zero" -- Fantasy and Science Fiction, 1977
 "Love Rogo" -- FUTURE LOVE: A SCIENCE FICTION TRIAD (Bobbs-
     Merrill, 1977)
 "What Gods Are These?" -- Galileo, 1978
 "Though All the Mountains Lie Between" -- Science Fiction Times,
     1980 and DRAGONS OF DARKNESS (Ace, 1981)  [formed the basis
     for the novel, DRAGONS IN THE STARS]
 "Life-Tides" -- HABITATS (Daw, 1984)
 "Reality School: In the Entropy Zone" -- Science Fiction Age,
     March 1995
 "Shapeshifter Finals" --WARRIORS OF BLOOD AND DREAM, edited by
     Roger Zelazny (Avonova, 1995)

His work has been translated into German, Russian, Italian,
 Greek, Hungarian, and Japanese.

 
               SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY WRITING
                an educational television series
                       with Jeffrey Carver

     In winter of 1995, author Jeffrey A. Carver developed and
 hosted a five-part educational TV series called SCIENCE FICTION
 AND FANTASY WRITING, produced by the Massachusetts Corporation
 for Educational Telecommunications (MCET), a distance-learning
 network based in Cambridge, Mass.  The shows, which had excellent
 production values, were aimed at junior high school classes
 (grades 6-8) and were broadcast live via satellite directly into
 nearly 80 schools around the U.S.  A number of schools
 participated interactively, via phonelink connections.
 
     The series consisted of teaching by Carver, discussions with
 guests, interactions with computer-sidekick Tinman, various kinds
 of preproduced material, live exercises with the interactive
 classrooms, and on-air review of selected students' writing.
 Topics covered included an overview of SF and fantasy literature,
 world building, human character and dialogue, aliens, conflict
 and plot, and finishing what you start.  Studio guests were
 authors Craig Shaw Gardner, Jane Yolen, Thomas A. Easton, Ellen
 Kushner, and artist Cortney Skinner.
 
     States represented included Massachusetts, Connecticut, New
 York, California, Montana, and Florida.  The enthusiasm of the
 teachers and students was tremendous.  One representative comment
 from a teacher: "Your series has been inspiring an interest in
 just about everything!  Our seventh graders are beginning to see
 connections between science, social studies, art, and language
 arts.  It's fabulous."  Carver described the show as an extremely
 satisfying experience personally, in large part because it helped
 to excite quite a number of kids about writing in general, and SF
 and fantasy in particular.
 
     Videotapes of the show are being shown at a number of SF
 conventions, including the Science Fiction Research Association
 Conference and Intersection (the 1995 World Science Fiction
 Convention).  The show has been scheduled by MCET for another
 season, beginning in the fall of 1995.

                For further information, contact:
                   [email-masked]