Subject: Author Lists: Angela Carter

From: [email-masked] (John C Wenn)
Date: 17 Mar 92 10:22:31 GMT

My all time favorite Angela Carter book is _The Bloody Chamber_.  It is 
a collection of retellings of classic fairy tales in a decadent style.  
If you have read Tanith Lee's _Red As Blood_, you know the type of 
story.  The two books, however, have very different styles.  _Red as 
Blood_ is sharp and witty, while _The Bloody Chamber_ is moody and 
sensuous.  _The Bloody Chamber_ also contains "A Company of Wolves", 
the source for the wonderful movie of the same name.  In fact, "A 
Company of Wolves" is *the* most accurate translation from the written 
word to the screen.  The movie adds an outer wrapping of a 20th century 
girl, and I think the movie uses a semi-colon instead of a comma, but 
aside from that one can read the story along with the movie.  Both are 
a great psycho-sexual retelling of various werewolf legends, most 
especially Little Red Riding Hood.  And the original story is only 12 
pages long.

[C] == Story Collection.
[CB] == Chapbook.  (A small booklet or pamphlet).
[O] == Omnibus.  Includes other books.
[YA] == The book is for young adults (however you define them).
[= ...] == Also known by this other title.

/John

arpa: [email-masked]

adirtymindisajoyforever-ly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Carter, Angela (Olive)	(U.K., 5/7/1940-2/16/1992)

Artificial Fire (1988) [O/N+C= Fireworks + Love]
Black Venus (1985) [C= Saints and Strangers]
Black Venus's Tale (1980) [CB]
The Bloody Chamber (1979) [C]
Fireworks (1974) [rev. 1987] [C]
Heroes and Villains (1969)
The Infernal Desire Machines of Dr. Hoffman (1972) [= The War of Dreams]
The Magic Toyshop (1967)
Nights At the Circus (1984)
The Passion of New Eve (1977)

Edited
Sleeping Beauty and Other Favorite Fairy Tales (1984)
The Virago Book of Fairy Stories (1990) [= The Old Wives' Fairy Tale Book]

Non-Genre Fiction
Comic and Curious Cats (1979) [YA]
The Donkey Prince (1970) [YA]
Love (1971) [rev. 1987]
Miss Z, The Dark Young Lady (1970) [YA]
Several Perceptions (1968)
Shadow Dance (1966) [= Honey Buzzard]
Unicorn (1966) [C/poetry]
Wise Children (1991)

with Leslie Carter
	The Music People (1980) [YA]

with Justin Todd
	Moonshadow (1982) [YA]

Nonfiction
The Sadeian Woman and the Ideology of Pornography (1979) [= The Sadeian Woman: An Exercise in Cultural History]