- U.S. Secret Service (USSS) founded.
- Alexander Graham Bell invents telephone.
- First teenage males flung off phone system by enraged authorities.
- "Futurian" science-fiction group raided by Secret Service.
- Yippie phone phreaks start YIPL/TAP magazine.
- Ramparts magazine seized in blue-box rip-off scandal.
- Ward Christenson and Randy Suess create first personal
computer bulletin board system.
- William Gibson coins term "cyberspace."
- "414 Gang" raided. 1983-1983 AT&T dismantled in
divestiture. 1984 Congress passes Comprehensive Crime Control Act
giving USSS jurisdiction over credit card fraud and computer fraud.
- "Legion of Doom" formed.
- 2600: The Hacker Quarterly founded.
- Whole Earth Software Catalog published.
- First police "sting" bulletin board systems established.
- Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link computer conference (WELL) goes
- Computer Fraud and Abuse Act passed.
- Electronic Communications Privacy Act passed.
- Chicago prosecutors form Computer Fraud and Abuse Task Force.
- July. Secret Service covertly videotapes "SummerCon" hacker
convention. September. "Prophet" cracks BellSouth AIMSX computer
network and downloads E911 Document to his own computer and to
September. AT&T Corporate Information Security informed
of Prophet's action. October. Bellcore Security informed of Prophet's
- January. Prophet uploads E911 Document to Knight
Lightning. February 25. Knight Lightning publishes E911 Document in
Phrack electronic newsletter. May. Chicago Task Force raids
and arrests "Kyrie."
June. "NuPrometheus League" distributes Apple Computer
June 13. Florida probation office crossed with phone-sex line in
July. "Fry Guy" raided by USSS and Chicago Computer Fraud and
Abuse Task Force.
July. Secret Service raids "Prophet", "Leftist", and "Urvile" in
- January 15. Martin Luther King Day Crash strikes AT&T
long-distance network nationwide.
January 18-19. Chicago Task Force raids Knight Lightning in
January 24. USSS and New York State Police raid "Phiber Optik",
"Acid Phreak", and "Scorpion" in New York City.
February 1. USSS raids "Terminus" in Maryland.
February 3. Chicago Task Force raids Richard Andrews' home.
February 6. Chicago Task Force raids Richard Andrews' business.
February 6. USSS arrests Terminus, Prophet, Leftist, and Urvile.
February 9. Chicago Task Force arrests Knight Lightning.
February 20. AT&T Security shuts down public-access "attctc"
computer in Dallas.
February 21. Chicago Task Force raids Robert Izenberg in Austin.
March 1. Chicago Task Force raids Steve Jackson Games, Inc.,
"Mentor," and "Erik Bloodaxe" in Austin.
May 7,8,9. USSS and Arizona Organized Crime and Racketeering
Bureau conduct "Operation Sundevil" raids in Cincinnatti, Detroit, Los
Angeles, Miami, Newark, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Tucson, San
Diego, San Jose, and San Francisco. May. FBI interviews John Perry
Barlow re NuPrometheus case.
June. Mitch Kapor and Barlow found Electronic Frontier
Foundation; Barlow publishes Crime and Puzzlement manifesto.
July 24-27. Trial of Knight Lightning.
- February. CPSR Roundtable in Washington, D.C.
March 25-28. Computers, Freedom and Privacy conference in San Francisco.
May 1. Electronic Frontier Foundation, Steve Jackson, and others file suit against members of Chicago Task Force.
July 1-2. Switching station phone software crash affects Washington, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, San Francisco.
September 17. AT&T phone crash affects New York City and three airports.
Literary Freeware: Not for Commercial Use.
Copyright (c) 1992, 1994 Bruce Sterling -
This HTML version was converted by David Hedbor <firstname.lastname@example.org> in November
1994, based on the text edition verison 1.2. HTML updated in July 1998.
Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of
this publication provided the copyright notice and this permission notice
are preserved on all copies.